GORE SKYFLEX Aerospace Gaskets, 520 Series are tested and qualified to meet a rigorous set of standards for civil and military aircraft. They are typically supplied as die-cut gaskets and rolled goods on a carrier film, although the carrier film should be removed at the point of use. And because GORE SKYFLEX Aerospace Gaskets, 520 Series (with adhesive or without adhesive), are defined as the following, a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) or Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is not required:
- An article in the United States per OSHA Regulation 29 CFR 1910.1200(b)(6)(v) during normal intended use
- Described in EC Regulation 1907/2006/EC
- A “manufactured item” under Canadian CEPA regulations
Further, GORE SKYFLEX Aerospace Gaskets, 520 Series do not contain any REACH Regulation (EU/1907/2006) Candidate List of Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) at concentrations above 0.1% (w/w) as published by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
The aerospace gaskets in GORE SKYFLEX Aerospace Gaskets, 520 Series are comprised of non-hazardous materials that do not require the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) for installation, removal, repairs or further handling. Likewise, no special waste handling is required. However, hazardous decomposition byproducts may form if the materials are cut or removed using burning, grinding or elevated temperature processes, or if they are involved in a fire. These potential byproducts may include:
- Carbon dioxide
- Carbonyl fluoride
- Carbon monoxide
- Hydrogen fluoride
- Silicon oxides
- Traces of incompletely burned carbon products
Recommended Standard Practices
The following best practices from W. L. Gore & Associates are intended for use when installing or repairing GORE SKYFLEX Aerospace Gaskets, 520 Series. They should also be used to reduce exposure to decomposition byproducts:
- Download our step-by-step instructions or watch our instructional videos for installing and repairing the materials.
- Do not heat the materials with adhesive over 88°C (190°F) or non-adhesive materials over 177°C (350°F).
- Note: Temperature is dependent on the adhesive specified.
- Unless you’re using PPE and effective local exhaust ventilation, avoid burning, grinding, high-temperature cutting and melting of the materials.
- Protect the materials from fire.
- Note: In the event of a fire, use full PPE, including a self-contained breathing apparatus to avoid potential symptoms of polymer fume fever. Wear neoprene gloves when handling refuse from a fire. Also, remember that hydrogen fluoride fumes emitted during a fire can react with water to form hydrofluoric acid.
- Dispose of the materials according to local, state, national and international regulations.
Learn More about GORE SKYFLEX Aerospace Gaskets, 520 Series
Gore’s tapes and gaskets are available in a variety of material sets, forms and sizes. Because their durable seals can withstand multiple open-close cycles, they simplify assembly and are often used as an alternative to Form-in-Place (FIP) seals. For more information about the 520 Series gaskets (with adhesive or no adhesive) or other GORE SKYFLEX Aerospace Materials, visit www.gore.com/skyflex. Once there, you can download the datasheet, installation guides and instructional videos, as well as directions on how to connect with our team.
FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY
Not for use in food, drug, cosmetic or medical device manufacturing, processing, or packaging operations.